Our adoption process is designed to help you and your family find the perfect match in a pet. When the right match is made, we strive to conduct our adoptions thoughtfully, transparently, and with the utmost respect.
Browse Our Dogs and Cats
Our animals’ listings are updated in real time on our Available Cats & Available Dogs pages. Photos, current location, bios are updated daily.
You can fill out an adoption questionnaire online ahead of your visit, but it is not required – you’re welcome to fill one out when you arrive. All adoptions are done on a first-come, best-match basis.
No appointment needed. Adoptions occur on open visitation days at each of our three campuses:
Wilmington: Tuesday through Sunday
Stanton/Christiana: Tuesday through Sunday
Rehoboth Beach: Tuesday through Saturday
(Please note that adoption processing stops 30 minutes before closing – if you arrive at the end of the day, you will not be able to take an animal home same-day… but you’re still welcome to come take a peek!)
MEET YOUR MATCH
Our experienced adoption counselors will introduce you to potential matches and may ask lifestyle questions to ensure the best match possible.
Take Your New Pet Home
Staff will review necessary information to complete your adoption. Many of our animals are ready to go home the same day.
(Note: For animals with medical or behavioral considerations, we may require additional meet and greets or adoption counseling prior to adoptions and/or all members of the household present to meet the animal.)
What To Bring
- Driver’s license or state-issued ID with your current address (adopters must be at least 18 years old)
- Proof of address (one piece of mail or bill)
- Copy of resident dogs’ rabies certificate if coming in for a meet and greet
- A dog leash & collar or secure cat carrier (or you may purchase one at the time of adoption)
- Our adoption process is on a first come, best match basis. For a non-refundable $30 fee, an animal can be held for 24 hours. This $30 does not go toward the adoption fee.
- Completing an adoption questionnaire does not guarantee adoption. We reserve the right to deny any adoption if we believe it is in the best interest of the animal.
- Adding an animal’s name to your questionnaire does not guarantee you to meet/adopt any specific animal. If the animal you’re looking to meet has been adopted before your visit, we will work with you to find another match.
- Payment is due at the time of adoption. We appreciate additional donations to support our lifesaving work!